5.29.2008

routine

Day begins at 5.10. There are many that wake earlier to shower, meditate, take coffee before their practice which sounds so lovely, it’s what my ideal self does too – but only my ideal self. My real-life self hits snooze until the very last minute before leaving for the shala at 5.30 and stumbling onto my mat by 5.45. This morning I think I heard Sharath tell me to be there for 5am tomorrow but I cannot imagine a 5am start so I’m going to ignore the possibility until it’s an undeniable command.

Practice is finished by 7.30. I’ve started helping out as a server at one of the local breakfast spots, run by two Canadians, so if I’m working I speed home from the shala to shower before heading to my shift for 8am to bring food to hungry yogis. If I’m not working, I linger over my closing poses and take a long savasana before heading home to nap, meditate, or read.

Serving or my own breakfast, both are done by 11am and the day is mine. I have a contract from home due mid-July, if it’s a working day I’ll occasionally bring it to the pool but more often to one of the coffee shops where I get heaps of work done in between listening to top-volume Bollywood music and wondering about the cross-dressers who come in at 12.30 every day to demand a bribe from the employees in return for not harassing the patrons. I need to learn more about these people. If I don’t have work to do I head to philosophy class, wander around taking pictures, read or write. Either way, it’s all done by 3pm when I head home to make my dinner.

Dinner done, I go to the lake for a walk, socialize, or maybe head to Anu’s to check email. I’m home before 8pm to meditate and read on my roof where my roommate eventually finds me and keeps me awake laughing late enough to ensure that the next morning finds me groaning and pushing snooze until the very last minute and it all begins again.

Really. I could do this for a very long time.

No comments: