Don the Dog almost ate me today.
Ever since the break in at the old place I've been very grateful for Don the Dog. He's very big, very scary and very quiet which makes him an anomaly amongst Mysore dogs - he doesn't bark all night but everyone know he's there. No one would be foolish enough to mess with him.
There are a lot of big dogs around. Most houses have one in the way I imagine farms have dogs, more as workers than as pets. Except this isn't the country with heaps of surrounding fields, this is a town with very small plots of land. Instead of roaming around farms, the very big dogs here are kept in very small kennels all day until they're released to patrol their very small territories (the driveway) at night. Don the Dog is no exception.
It's little wonder he leaps after me, barking madly, each morning when I try to sneak out of my flat for yoga. I think he's been waiting for this moment his entire life; a chance to DO something. This morning he almost got me. He jumped up against the fence separating us, as he always does, but this time he got his front paw hooked over the wall. I'm not sure who was more surprised, he or I, but I could see the glee in his face and bloodlust in his eyes. He might. actually. get. someone.
Then his paw slipped and he fell back to the ground, barking even more madly than before and I passed unscathed. This time. But I'm afraid he may be working out a system for getting over the fence. Hopefully, I'll be gone before he perfects his maneuver.
5.27.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi There,
It's your old friend mike from the plane ride...If you ever want to Skype me my name is mgollom or The gollom. It would be nice to chat with you.
Post a Comment